TOXIC FRUIT AND VEGGIES — 75 percent of fruit and vegetables grown in the U.S. contains toxic pesticide residue. Avoid getting sick by eating organic, non genetically modified produce.
This post was excerpted and edited from an article written by nutritionists Jordan and Kyla Miller. Article copyrighted by GreenMedInfo LLC, 2023.
Pesticides are used to protect crops from insects, germs and rodents while the plants are growing.
Residual amount of chemicals are present on the food when it gets to the grocery store, and cannot be removed by rinsing the produce with plain water.
List of fruits and veggies that contain the highest amounts of pesticides — from the highest to the lowest, according to the USDA Pesticide Data Program. (The list gives the amount of pesticide residues and known carcinogens, but to simplify the post, other harmful substances — suspected hormone disruptors, neurotoxins, developmental or reproductive toxins and honeybee toxins — have not been included.)
- CELERY with 64 pesticide residues and 13 carcinogens, is the worst.
- PEACHES: 62 pesticide residues and 10 carcinogens.
- KALE: 55 pesticide residues and 9 carcinogens.
- STRAWBERRIES: 54 pesticide residues and 9 carcinogens.
- BLUEBERRIES: 52 pesticide residues and 8 carcinogens.
- LETTUCE: 51 pesticide residues and 12 carcinogens.
- SWEET BELL PEPPERS: 49 pesticide residues and 11 carcinogens.
- SPINACH: 48 pesticide residues and 8 carcinogens.
- COLLARED GREENS: 46 pesticide residues and 9 carcinogens.
- GREEN BEANS: 44 pesticide residues and 8 carcinogens.
- CHERRIES: 42 pesticide residues and 7 carcinogens.
- APPLES: 42 pesticide residues and 7 carcinogens.
Also on the list but not as bad:
Broccoli has 33 pesticide residues; cucumbers 35; grapes 34; potatoes 37; and tomatoes 35.
SO WHAT THE HELL IS SAFE TO EAT?
Five foods with the lowest pesticide residues:
✔️ Bananas contain 12 pesticide residues and 4 carcinogens.
✔️ Grapefruit: 11 pesticide residues and 4 carcinogens.
✔️ Almonds and asparagus: Each has 9 pesticide residues and only1 carcinogen.
And the safest of all (drum roll please!) are Onions✔️ which have just one pesticide residue and zero carcinogens.